Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Weather you like it or not


Todays weather caught me by surprise. The snow began falling last night, but it got really heavy by this afternoon. By the time I went to pick up my daughter around 5pm, the roads were almost completely covered in ice. As we rode home, I tried to stop at the top of a hill and the brakes had no effect. I slid part way down the hill stopping only because I hit the sidewalk curb. It's a good thing that there wasn't anyone around or I would have had an accident. I made a u-turn at the hill, as I knew that with the ice, I wouldn't be able to negotiate the hill safely. We drove home by a different, safer route. I spent a couple of hours shovelling and salting our townhouse complex before dinner. I was keenly aware of the news reports that the emergency wards were filling with people who were hurting themselves shovelling snow and slipping on ice. I was extremely careful while shovelling and made sure I took not to put too much strain on my back.
My Internet service has been sporatic today as well. I wasn't able to log on earlier, and even now the Internet seems to be very sluggish on my computer.
The worst of the snow is over for now as I type this, but the temperature is supposed to drop down to -6 overnight. Hopefully tomorrow isn't going to be as bad. At least I picked a good time to take holidays from work.

2 comments:

GT said...

make lots of soup for you and your daughter. With noodles.

Rico said...

Homemade soup! Great way to warm up on a cold day.