Saturday, February 24, 2007

Work and Play

I'm posting this from work at the moment. It's 4:06am which means that I'm working the night shift again. I really don't mind working graveyards that much. It's been exceptionally quiet tonight and hope it stays that way until 7am. This gives me a chance to update this blog!
I managed to screw up my home computer yesterday. I had recently installed Ubuntu Linux on the hard drive, because I've been meaning to test drive the software for quite some time now. Installation was a breeze and I had the system up and running in no time. I installed a few extras to enhance the features, and I even spent some time getting to know how to use the terminal to type in commands. The one part of the installation that didn't go smoothly, was that although my ATI graphics card was detected, I couldn't change the screen resolution higher than 1024x768. I spent some time trying to figure out how to correct this problem, and found others with similar grief. In the end, I found step by step instructions, along with a repository link for the files I'd need. All I ended up doing was killing the software. I was left staring at a blank screen.
Not all was lost however. After years of computer use, I've learned a trick or two. I turned off my computer and switched hard drive cables around. You see, before I installed Ubuntu, I had disconnected the hard drive with Windows XP on it. I installed Ubuntu on my 2nd hard drive. When the screen blanked, I just plugged the cable back in and my Windows XP loaded up just like it's always done. Now I have to figure out how to repair Ubuntu if I can, otherwise I'll have to reinstall it all over again. I liked the look and feel of it, and I'd like to give it more of a chance before I decide if I like it or Windows better. I may end up settling on a dual boot option, as my wife likes to use MS Excel and Word occasionally. She's never been as fond of Open source as I have.

1 comment:

datter said...

I'd love to migrate to some flavor of linux in a minute if all my various apps/games would work there. At the moment, they don't so I'm trapped in Windows-world like most everyone else.

The closest I came to your scenario was making a Knoppix boot disk, which is a great way to get a feel for linux, without having to commit to it. Just burn a disc, and then boot from it and you're there. When you're finished, change your bios to boot from C: first again and you're back in Windows again as per usual.

I messed around with that for quite awhile on and off until I finally broke down and got Debian installed and working on an old computer I had kicking around.

In the end though, there isn't any flavor of linux that does all the things I need it to do... so I'm Bill Gates bitch.

datter