Monday, December 11, 2006

The Lost Baby Jesus

Every year at Christmas we put up a Nativity Scene. It's a family tradition that we've had since our daughter was born. I built the Nativity home myself using mostly bits and pieces of wood, moss and part of a wicker basket for a back wall. I rigged up a red light to give it a cool glow when the room is dark. One of the 3 Wise Men has had his hand crazy glued back on years ago when my daughter played with it and dropped him. He's still holding gold with his crazy glue wrist bracelet. We used to use the entire fireplace mantle to recreate a biblical village, but I removed the mantle last year when I installed the laminate flooring throughout the house. That left us with nowhere to set up the village, so now the nativity home sits all alone on a table beside the Christmas tree. I used to hide the baby Jesus figurine each year and bring him out on his birthday, but one year I forgot where I hid him. Took us a couple of days to finally find the hiding spot. I haven't hid him since then. We leave him in his crib nowadays so that there's no chance he gets hidden away and held for ransom. Doing that won't guarantee getting any extra presents on Christmas day! :P

No comments: